Saturday, December 25, 2010

Significant Sites

Ok, time for a bit of history (don't worry, I'll be brief!).


This spring of water is located in Wadi Musa "Valley of Moses".  Can you guess why it's called Wadi Musa?
Ok, Ok, I'll tell you!  This is the valley that the prophet Moses passed through and struck water from the rock for the Israelites. (Numbers 20:7-11) The actual site is called Ain Musa or Moses water Spring  (Mose's Well).  The Nabateans built channels that carried water from this spring to the city of Petra. (You remember, I was walking by some of those water channels in the Petra post! :) ) Also, be aware of the fact that alot of these sites are best guesses as far as actual places from biblical history, they are in the area, but as to actual rock or spring, who really knows?




This is the mountain we could see from our hotel, it is called Mount Hor in Edom. Mt Hor is situated "in the edge of the land of Edom" (Numbers 33:37) It was one of the stations of the Israelites in the wilderness, which they reached in the circuitous route they were obliged to take because the Edomites refused them a passage through their territory. (Numbers 20:14-21)


It was during the encampment here that Aaron died. (Numbers 33:37-41) also (Numbers 20:22-29) Now look carefully, can you see a white square dot, building at the top of the mountain? That is called the tomb of Aaron. Josephus is the historian that puts Mt Hor near Petra as the location of Aaron's death.


We did not get to go up to the actual tomb of Aaron, we just saw it from the hotel and the bus, pretty much as you are seeing it now. Just look at the terrain and imagine the Israelites "wandering 40 yrs" in such an area.

Really, a million people "wandering" no wonder they had to have "Manna from Heaven". This is only one area they were at, but not too much to survive on I say. As I think of the Manna from Heaven and Water coming from a rock, I'm wondering if there is not a lesson in there about "The Bread of Life and Living Water." Ummm, something to think about I do believe.


Here is a photo of the town surrounding Mt Hor, interesting, interesting n'est-ce pas?


So now it's time to leave the south of Jordan and head north on the King's Highway to cross the Jordan river into Israel and our hotel at Tiberias on the Sea of Galilee. It was a long bus ride up North, but as we went it did become more and more productive and green. I noticed lots of goats and sheep in the hills. I could see the shepherds watching them. Makes the bible stories more real, that is for sure.

Just a quick note, as we left Jordan and entered Israel, Dixie the Immigration officer was the one that got searched,("patted down") by an Israelie female officer. I got to go into the little booth with the curtain and get checked out, for weapons and other contra band. Random search? Suspicious Character? I don't know!!!! But I wasn't detained and told I could have one call, that is a good thing!!

Finally,we have come to the conclusion of Monday 08 November 2010. Tuesday we wake up on the Sea of Galilee and that is an Awesome thing!!! I love the Sea of Galilee!!

4 comments:

  1. Another great history lesson for those who aren't too familiar with this kind of thing. Thanks. Look forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good history lesson. It is cool to have something to picture in your mind as you hear scripture stories. But did you really know what the mountain was called? I thought you forgot:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps the officer saw the "immigration officer" in you. There was a familiarity about you perhaps. Anyway, this post reminds me that I need to see if my pictures at the framer are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was it dusty? Or was it so hot that the dirt just kind of sticks to you. When I look at these pictures it makes my eyes hurt because of the dust. Did you drink from Moses's well? It reminds me of our stop on the way to Kalispel. Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete