Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hotel Petra

Can't leave Petra without a note about the hotel.

 This is the name plate of our hotel in Petra, a very nice hotel that I thought was fun.
I enjoyed the restaurant as the ambiance was super cool, and there were languages from all over the world being spoken all around us.

 Everything is built out of rock or stone. This is my attempt at photography! The beige object at the back of the picture is a MINARET (generally attached to a mosque).  It is the tower used by a Muezzin - or crier-to call the faithful to prayer five times each day. They are called to prayer at dawn, noon, mid-afternoon, sunset and night. (This fact that the Muslims pray 5 times a day will come up later, just getting everyone prepped for future information.) Don't need an alarm clock in Muslim countries that is for sure!

 The inside of our first hotel room. Rather spacious compared to some of the other hotel rooms we had. I enjoyed the style and layout at this hotel.

 Ummm, did you notice anything unique about the room? Umm, think about it! Would we find a room like this in North America? Oh I think I'm going to leave it at that and you can let me know in the comments if you noticed the same thing I did!! (Tee- Hee, part of the fun of blogging!!!) :)

 This is a view, at dawn, from our hotel. The roofs are part of the hotel and the other buildings are part of the city of Petra that is not a tourist attraction. Lots of sand and rocks eh? huh?

 Another view of the hotel as we are coming up from the restaurant. I thought it was cool.

 This is an olive press with an olive tree there on the right. The round millstone with the wood stick in is used to press the olives. The worker pushes the millstone by using the stick that is in the hole of the millstone. This is a rather small olive press. I think this is just a model for effect.

 This picture is just because I liked the car that they were using as a taxi! Nice car!

This is another view from out hotel. This is to get you ready for the geography and history lesson that will come up in the next post. That mountain over there is significant, as well as this general area of south Jordan. Old Testament history. Think Moses and Exodus. Moses was in the wilderness 40 yrs after all, he had to be somewhere.

3 comments:

  1. Let's see. The hotel room? 3 beds in a row I thought was kind of interesting. I see a body in the one on the right. Kind of creepy. Is that what I was suppose to see? The rooms have great floors! Olive wood?
    Could you even see the picture on the television with it being so far away from the beds and being so small? Funny.
    Wild how the hotel is made right into the rock!!
    Can't wait to hear about the mountain in the background of your last picture! Did you actually go there and stand on it like Moses did?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to tell us what the secret about the hotel room is. Is it single beds?
    That is a cool hotel, unlike anything I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my I think it is the beds too. Why so many in one room? I love that the hotel was built inside the mountain along with everything else. But I think my favourite is the Mill stone.

    "It had been better for them that a millstone had been hanged about their necks, and they drowned in the depth of the sea." -D&C 121:22

    That think is huge.

    But also the olive tree, it my dream to go work for a couple of years in an olive grove, just so I can better understand all the parables about them.

    ReplyDelete