Friday, January 7, 2011

Tiberias, Israel


Good Morning Israel! Tiberias to be exact! This is the view from our hotel room and of course the Sea of Galilee is the body of water that you see. (The Sea of Galilee is a freshwater lake.)  So cool! Do you know, remember all the things,events that took place around the Sea of Galilee? Oh don't worry, I'll remind you!!




 Ok now, look to the left and this is what you see! Modern day Tiberias has a population of about 30,000 and is one of Israel's most popular resorts due to it's location on the Sea of Galilee (so cool!) and because of the hot springs of Tiberias. Of course I'm going to throw in a bit of history, so here goes:  Tiberias is 2000 yrs old, and was constructed by Herod Antipas around the year 20.  Herod dedicated the city to the Roman Caesar Tiberius. After 70AD, Tiberias became an important center of learning, most of the Jerusalem Talmud was edited here. (That wasn't so bad now was it?)


 Now look to the right, The Sea of Galilee! (So cool!)  Have you thought of any events that took place around the Sea of Galilee yet? I think I'll mention a few: the Savior called and ordained the Twelve Apostles in Galilee; the Savior spent much of his mortal ministry in this region, He taught in parables, performed miracles... oh I'll stop for now, there is so much neat stuff!


Look a bit more to the right! What does the boat make you think of?  Calming the storm? Commanding the disciples to cast their nets, by which they caught many fish? Walking on the water? Oh so many things to think about and imagine!!
We did go out on the Sea of Galilee on a boat like this. We went out at night (so no pictures of that, sorry!)
We sang Master the Tempest is Raging, I don't have words to describe that experience. Oh I'm so lucky to have had the chance to be on the Sea of Galilee! (so cool!)


 This is a view of Tiberias in front of our hotel. Interesting landscape, don't ya think? It's warm here, I love it!


 This is a plaque at Ein Harod, the spring where Gideon chose his three hundred men before routing the Midianites. (Judges 7)  If you click on the picture, you should be able to read it.



The Spring of Gideon, as I call it.


A look inside the fenced off area. The source of the Spring of Gideon.

 The creek/canal where the water runs out from the spring. This area is a park where locals and tourists come in their free time.

Hi Kelly!  I'm busy pondering something profound I'm sure! Something like, would I have wanted to fight the Midianites? Or, I love having my feet in this water, why are we leaving so soon?
Oh the joys of tours, there are 90 other people doing the same thing you are at the same time, sometimes there are thousands, but at this point it's the Red Bus and Blue Bus soaking their feet. Ahhhh so warm, so cool, I love it!


 Just some pictures for the beauty of it!


 Green foliage in November! So cool!

This is the first of several visits for Tuesday 09 November 2010. So many neat things to take in and learn. I know I forgot alot of what I learned, but I do remember that it is warm, that it is so cool to be in Israel, and I know the scriptures will become more meaningful as I study and remember these experiences in the Holy Land!


6 comments:

  1. Gideon, both in the Bible and the Book of Mormon, some of my favourite stories. I am so glad you got to be there. Oh just reading this makes my imagination go crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sea of Galilee is fresh water? Never would have thought that for some reason. And it seems to me that the Spring of Gideon should be a sacred place and people shouldn't be allowed to put their feet into it. Not sure why exactly I think that.
    Thanks for the "visit"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really should be more familiar with the scriptures so I can truly appreciate all that you are talking about, but one thing I know for sure is those flowers you have posted are Bouganvillia. I have that plant in my house Dixie. Mine isn't blooming now though, needs heat for that. Yep, wondering what Dixie D is pondering next to the stream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad the Sea of Gaililee was "so cool." You emailed us that day and you were a day ahead of us, and it was a freezing cold day in Alberta. You were lucky to see green and be warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice header picture Dixie. I am just about ready to put up a sunset picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent images. Thank you for posting pictures of your adventure :)

    ReplyDelete