Friday, August 19, 2011

Pole Haven Paradise

Southern Alberta is Paradise when the wind doesn't blow and when the sun shines. So a few of us "horsey" gals took a ride into the community pasture and we had a perfect day!! We were missing some of the gals from last year,(sad to say). There were some new riders and a good time was had by all.

This year it was time to find the "Ski Cabin". I remember going there as a kid, but ask me how to find it and my only answer was "It's in the community pasture somewhere." Now I know where it is and how to get there!! Ya-Hoo!!



See, I,we, found the "Ski Cabin" and everyone is there! You go west from the corrals, through the middle gate keeping a westward direction and before you know it, Voila, the ski cabin!

One of my favorite pictures of the day, due in part to the fun of watching Marilee set the camera and running to mount before the 3 shots are done.(I tried to set the camera and run, but couldn't get back to the horse & on top in time)

Notice those fine steeds! Kaylynn on a nice buckskin, Dixie riding a fine black gelding, Marilee mounting a very nice palamino mare, Shawna on a big gentle roan, Jill riding a sorrel gelding, Hali on a classy red dun, Joy on a sorrel mare and Pam riding a grey mare. ( I thought it was cool that we had only 2 horses of the same color)



Here we are again, this time we are at Pole Haven, from this vantage you can see into Mt.View, Leavitt, Hillspring and maybe farther on a clear day. It is beautiful! It was fun to pick out the various land marks, Mt View cemetary, Payne Lake, Beaver Dam Lake, Shawna's land, etc....

Hey, you know what else is cool, the ages of the group goes from 13 to 67 yrs old. What a fun group, I'm so lucky to be a part of it all! Thanks guys!! or should I say gals? Thanks gals!!


Pam and Joy on top of Pole Haven.


Marilee and Jill building their marker,(that eskimo thing that you saw all the time during the olympics).  Yup, you're right Jill, you are on a blog looking mighty fine!


Jill and Marilee carving, need to bring better carving tools next time. One just never knows what might be needed on a horse back ride into the bush.



See, those two carving again! Need to make your mark at the ski cabin. It was fun to go around and see who has been up there, lots and lots of  people. I think that is one of the reasons the ski cabin is there. (Marilee found a nail and went right to work, and of course we all used it afterwards!)


Hali and Shawna on the deck of the ski cabin.



Kaylynn and Jill


Lunch at the ski cabin, and I got a little trouble for not bringing the chocolate like I should have. Pam on the other hand had an Oh Henry and she is sharing. We all had some, but Marilee got caught on camera enjoying her chocolate! :)



Just because I like my horses!


I love this picture!
 Super ladies each and everyone of them!


See, we really did ride! Notice Kaylynn and Marilee taking  a picture of each other taking a picture.

The ride this year was fun, we had a mix of everything, a few steep climbs, (the view was worth it), a few bogs to jump over,(everyone stayed on top, whew), easy grassy meadows to ride through,(ahhh..) and creeks to clip clop through and to let our horses drink. ( I wanted to splash everyone, but didn't get the chance.), and finally breath taking views of mountains, valleys, rivers, and of course the smell of the pine etc.. I just love it, love it, love it!!!

The company was fun, the activity was superb, and the location was paradise!! Can't wait to go again!

5 comments:

  1. Correction ....... You love your horses! "Like" just isn't going to work here.
    I think that's pretty neat that you were able to find that cabin that you once visited as a child. And cool-io that there were so many different horses!
    Nice post and I love your new header picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lou Lou, you're right I do love my horses and just so I give credit where credit is due, the header picture is one that Marilee took, she shared some of her pictures with me, Thanks Marilee!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. You have a fun variety of pictures for sure and you are good at getting candid people shots. Variety is the spice of life even when it comes to horses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on the cool pictures. Thanks for being the guide. We did have great weather and no nose flies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I have failed you, we have had that chocolate discussion many times! So glad your mom went, she deserves a nice break. Tell Marilee if she was a guy she could just pee on things to leave her mark. I would be so jealous of this day if I hadn't had the chance to be there just a few weeks ago. Glad you had a fab time!

    ReplyDelete