Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Into Egypt


After our time at Masada, we got on the bus and headed south towards the Egyptian border.  Some of the things we saw from the bus window was this: Salt harvested from the Dead Sea.


Unique animals surviving on what? I see nothing, but obviously that is not true. I don't know what these guys are, but I find them interesting. Check out that mountain in the background, I say it is alot of rocks and nothing, barren don't ya think?


The closest I am able to get to the Red Sea. We are very close to the Egyptian border now, and as you look down the coast line you are looking into Egypt. Crossing the border into Egypt was quite the ordeal, I don't think I'll ever be able to use my passport that many times in 3 yrs of travelling as I did just to get into Egypt this day.

1. Show passport to Exit Israel
2. Show passport to Enter Egypt (scan bags)
3. Enter Egypt again before boarding bus
4. Once on bus, show for security
5. Drive 1000 yrds show at check point
6. Show at airport to get luggage scanned
7. Show to get boarding pass and check luggage
8. Show to enter waiting room to board charter flight & of course scan carry on luggage again!


Once we got rolling in Egypt these are the sights we saw:
Land squatters in their make shift housing. See the mountain, lots of nothing. These mountains are as big(tall) as our mountains but there is nothing living that I can see. Rocks and sand, rocks and sand!!!


Bedouin Sheraton.
Oh too bad this isn't a clear picture, but truly what you see is ALL there is! The road goes by this but there is nothing, nothing and more of nothing! You see lots of things started and not finished in Egypt. All that got done here was the sign.


More of the landscape. This is Egypts Sinai that we are travelling through to get to the airport at Taba.


More of the same. That dot on the right hand side is the other bus of our tour and then again, lots of nothing. No wonder Moses needed Manna from heaven, there is nothing here.


Airport security

This is where we get our charter flight to Aswan to start our cruise on the Nile River of Egypt. A long day full of interesting adventures in travelling. Interesting to observe how the rest of the world lives and more often than not, so, so grateful for how I am able to live. I live in abundance and relative ease.
Thus ends Monday 15 November 2010, day 10 of my 15 day tour!

(The goal is to finish blogging this trip before a year is up, do you think I can do it??) 


6 comments:

  1. With my luck my reservations would have been at that Sheraton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bobbie, I don't think so!! But as we drove by I could see there were lots of room available! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many different things in this post.
    When I first saw that picture of the mountain, I noticed the word "emergency" but then I realized that you must have taken that picture from inside if the bus. Funny.
    That Sheraton sign was being anchored by cables or something. Is is windy there?
    Another neat o post Dixie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a lot of nothing. It makes me grateful for a beautiful place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, that place is/was a lot of nothing. Interesting. And the salt? Hopefully they make use of all that salt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with Marilee, the salt thing was the coolest.

    ReplyDelete