Sunday, July 3, 2011

Hezekiah's Tunnel

As the sign says, we are headed off to the City of David and Hezekiah's Tunnel. One of the many things we did on our last day in Jerusalem.



A picture of a wall of the Temple Mount and an indication of the streets in Jerusalem, they are very narrow and there is a lot of traffic, motor and pedestrian. Sooooo many tourists from all over the world.


A view of the housing in the Arab section, this is what we saw as we were getting ready to descend down, down, down .... to Hezekiah's tunnel.


Hezekiah's Tunnel was built over 2500 yrs ago to secure the water supply of Jerusalem during the Assyrian siege. ( See we are going, down, down, down... it was a long way, good thing I had no knee troubles.)


The curving tunnel is 533 m long and we got to walk through it. It seemed to go on forever. It was quite narrow too. Fun, this was one of the more fun things we did on this tour.



In some places it was rather low, I didn't have any troubles, but you tall beautiful people would have to bend a bit like Kelly.


Just to show I was there!! The water came up over our knees in some places. It was fun and dark, hence the flashlight. (Oh yes I know I know, tacky, tacky tourist!! Fashion is my strong suit. NOT! I didn't want to get the nice shorts wet.)



We made it through the tunnel. Nice to be in water when it's so hot. See clavicles, no clavicles! Fashionable, Tacky!! Oh what can I say? So lucky to be able to experience the city of Jerusalem and the country of Israel. (Tacky or not!)

4 comments:

  1. I like how you show off how tacky you are! Not only show it off, but you point it out so that even if somebody didn't know what tacky looked like, now they do! Nobody will miss the fact that you are tacky! Good thing too! Wouldn't want anyone to think you're something you're not!! :) That really does look like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tourist outfit. But I kind of felt claustrophobic just looking at the pictures of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second kaylynns comment. I like the outfit except your hand was in the way so I couldn't see what the entire shirt said! Not sure if I would have been able to go into that tunnel. Yikes!
    Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha! I would have been a little wierded out in that tunnel. And how long is 533 meters anyway?

    ReplyDelete