Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Dome of the Rock


The Dome of the Rock, the most famous Islamic site in Jerusalem. This impressive, beautiful edifice can be seen from all over Jerusalem. Interesting to note that the Dome is not a mosque, but a Muslim shrine. 



Wondering why I have a picture of Kelly in this post? Well, it's like this. The Dome of the Rock is on the Temple Mount, or Mount Moriah (under Muslim control). It was a hot day so Kelly wore a shirt very similar to this one. See, the clavicle bones are showing. As we entered the site, there was a guard there checking to make sure everyone was dressed appropriately. Guess who got sent to the side and not allowed forward? Guess why? Wow, was that a awful feeling, I of course always wear t'shirts that come right up to my chin and I didn't have anything extra give to Kelly to cover her up. Kelly didn't have a sweater, why would she, she doesn't have alot of tolerance for the heat so she wasn't about to pack around any extra clothing. So we stood on the side hoping for someone to lend a scarf, sweater, anything!! It gave us both a new appreciation for the parable of the ten virgins. The wise vs the foolish.


Finally, a nice gentleman was willing to lend his pullover and Kelly was able to wear that while on the Temple Mount. (HOT!!) It was interesting that neither Mike nor I had anything extra we could give Kelly. Oh man, the thought of leaving Kelly behind, or missing out on the site was almost more than I could take. I remember thinking, how can I give her my T'shirt? But really, that wouldn't have been pretty either!! Ahhhh! Perish the thought!



OK, back to the Dome. The Dome is build over a huge rock, 40' x 52' rising 7 feet above the level of the temple area. The rock is the summit of Mount Moriah. Jews believe this is where Abraham prepared to sacrifice Isaac, the Muslims believe that is was Ishmael and not Isaac. Also the Muslims believe that Mohammad went to heaven from this point on his winged steed, al Baruck (lightning). When he ascended, the rock began to rise with him, but an angel appeared and held the rock down.



We weren't able to go inside the Dome, but the outside is interesting and beautiful.



 Just a picture of the pillars and the various marble that was used. It is believed that this is the site of Solomon's, Zerubbabel's and Herod's temples.
An interesting start to Sunday 14 November 2010. Kelly did a whole RS lesson based on this experience. It is quite a thing to watch a man (with a gun) admit some and refuse others based on manner of dress.


5 comments:

  1. I would have been in big trouble. I love my clavicles and v-neck t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would have thought you couldn't show your clavicles? I am so glad you all go to go in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the very same thing about you lee lee! I on the other hand would have made it in with Dixie.

    Dixie I was hoping there would have been a picture of the rock. Shucks. If you think about it......rocks are kind of really cool aren't they? The rock must have been pretty important for the angel to have held it down. Also....rocks are a foundation....(primary song). And what about the prayer rock? I think I am sounding really quite weird right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos. What I'm more impressed with is your concern that Kelly may miss the experience, you're beyond thoughtful Dix. That is why I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are incredible, love the story!

    ReplyDelete