Monday, January 31, 2011

The Gift of Wranglers War Leo

 Wranglers War Leo a 1983 Gray Stallion. This picture was taken in August 2004. I was lucky enough to acquire Wrangler in 2001. This is to say thanks for the privilege of owning and riding such a fine horse. I'm also very lucky to have offspring from such a horse.  I don't know if I'll be lucky enough to ride a finer horse ever!

Wranglers War Leo earned the 1987 World Champion Jr Working Cow Horse title in Oklahoma. He won with a 10 point spread between 1st and 2nd place. Out of 25 shows Wrangler won 22 Championships, 2 Reserves, and tied for 3rd once. Always in the money and mostly in the winners circle!! A true champion and an awesome individual.  He was competitive in the Working Cow Horse, Reining and Cutting.


This is Ziggy's Wrangler a 2002 sorrel mare, that was my first Wrangler foal and I had lots of fun and success with this mare. We reined in 2007, and oh boy were we having fun winning a few dollars, and prizes along the way. We came away with a Rookie of the year buckle! So cool to win a buckle!!! Sadly, she hurt her knee and now she is a brood mare.


This is Shasta, one of our very best Wrangler mares, she takes good care of the novice rider as well as the seasoned rider. Marilee (seasoned rider) will sometimes let Denver ride his horse. Who knows, maybe someday Marilee will have a Wrangler of her very own and Denver can ride his horse anytime he wants! All though, who wants to give up Shasta? Nobody, that's who!

This is Yuno, my black 2006 gelding that I use on the farm and in the mountains. I like this horse and he is the only black Wrangler that I've had.  He's fussy about water and has a few other quirks, that's what makes him Yuno!

Here's a couple of 2004 foals showing off for the camera. I think my brother in law should use them for advertising his dental practice, don't you?

These are the 2006 foals, I like the picture and all of those foals have become good horses. The Wranglers have been fun to train, like one of my trainers said "The Wranglers are easy money!" (That means no buck and that they learn quickly!)

Ahhhh......

Another 2006 foal by Wrangler. 

I'm one classy dude!!

Look at me, I was born March 2009, my name is Peppy's Magic Mocha. I'm going to be a star!

These pictures were taken within a couple days of being born.

Wranglers War Leo is my daddy and Peppy's Sweet Magic (a Black Magic filly) is my Momma!
This mare is my hope to replace Ziggy as my show mare. So far so good! The 2009 foals are the last of the Wranglers as Wrangler died 02 November 2009.

Here is a picture of the last foal crop of Wrangler, taken during the summer of 2010 as yearlings. Thanks Marilee for such great photos of the horses. Can you find Mocha? Look to the widest blaze on a sorrel.


Another fine photo by Marilee. Mocha is the 4th horse from the left, behind the red horse by the wooden fence.

This is my favorite photo of the "Last of the Wranglers!".  From left to right the horses are:
Wranglers Rustic Lee, Slidin N Grinnin, Wranglers Belladonna, Wrangler Winsalot, Peppy's Magic Mocha, and Pepinics War Leo. Horses # 1,4,5, and 6 are the yearlings or 2009 foal crop.

This is a view of where these horses are growing up, and where I am lucky enough to live. 

Old Chief Mountain in the summer.

Old Chief from the Community Pasture, a favorite place to ride.

Thanks Wrangler for the good times and wonderful foals you have left behind!

9 comments:

  1. What a great story about a great horse. I feel privileged to have had the chance to be on his back for just a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here daddy. I even did a spin on him and it was niiiiccceeee.

    Good post Dixie. Ah, Wrangler with a flower lei. Neat pics of the babies, and so may of them. Have you counted how many Wrangler babies you have? $$$$$$$$

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just loved this post Dixie!! Boy, that was fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dixie I LOVED it! Wow ok I need more posts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great family history of your horses with fun pictures to go along with it. Austin has enjoyed training Mocha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a fun blog to see and read about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this tribute. I have a son of Wranglers War Leo (who looks just like him by the way. Tex was a grullo and is now white as his daddy.) I had been wondering for some time if he was still alive, knowing it was a slim chance. I love my Wranglers baby with all my heart. I rode him in my wedding and how my 1 year old sits on him and claps and clucks and squeals while we walk around. Every day to be around one of these kind of horses is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a grand daughter of his named Kelly's New Wranglers :) She was retired at 15 ( now almost 17) because of arthritis in both coffin joints ( although you would never know when watching her run up hill on her own IN FRONT of the younger ones ;)I learned alot from her, great cattle penning horse, hardly ever lost a cow. I wish I could find another one like her. She looks just like him- all white.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dixie!
    I find myself coming back to this page so many times along the years! Would love to see if you know anything about my Wrangler gelding, he's a 2003 (and my absolute heart horse!) Please message me at nicolehlert@gmail.com if you have some free time :)

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete