Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Arbel Cliff


This is Mount Tabor. We passed by this mountain on our way to our last stop of the day. What is Mount Tabor famous for you ask? Oh I guess I might mention a thing or two. As you may have guessed it is mentioned in the Bible, both Old and New Testament. Tradition links Mount Tabor to the Transfiguration of Jesus.


This mountain is strategically located on the main north-south ancient road and was an important fortress during the First and Second Temple, Greek, Roman and Crusaders times. This is a close up of the Franciscan basilica and other buildings found on the mountain. This mountain has a great view of the Jezreel Valley.


We are at the last stop of the day, The Arbel Cliffs. This is a picture of the caves that are found in the cliffs. I couldn't take one of the caves as we were on top of the cliff and the caves were way down below us. We were standing on the top of the cliff.

These cliffs and caves were used by rebels in ancient times and as a fortress.


This is a view of the area of Galilee to the south. We are 181 m above sea level.


This is a view of the Sea of Galilee. The Sea of Galilee is 200 m below sea level.


This is a view of the north side of the Sea of Galilee. If you look to the far end of the lake near the beaches of the lake is Capernaum.  This is the area of Jesus' Galilean ministry.


This is a view of the area to the left of the above picture.  It is a very fertile area.


This a view of the city of Magdala, famous for its fish and for Mary Magdalene. Beyond the city is the plain of Gennesareth.  I just love to think about Jesus roaming around this area doing his thing and all the other bible characters, this is their stomping grounds. (just a note, that is about a 1000 foot drop, from where I'm standing to the road)


Just a cool view, too bad I didn't think to have Mike take a picture of me standing on those rocks!


Cool picture huh?


Thus we come to the end of Tuesday November 9, 2010. Day 4 of our trip. We sure did see and go a lot of places in one day, oh but there is more to come!! Jerusalem, Calvary, Masada, Mount of Olives, the Dead Sea, .... Some cool stuff coming up.

5 comments:

  1. Ok so my birthday is in May all I want is a copy of the picture with the tree. You don't even have to frame it. Dixie these pictures are stunning, I am going to return often to look at them, and please make note I am the first to comment on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always imagined the Sea of Galilee a little more picturesque. I love the olive tree though. You're so smart. So much information in your head. It shows that you love and know the scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one cool tree!
    Q. Did you take notes of all this information or is it all in your head?
    Very impressive indeedy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making progress on documenting your journey. It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. K, Dixie, you just made my day. thank you for sharing this amazing adventure. I will be back. I couldn't possibly remember everything and by the way, you are so great at this. One smart girl. So glad we're friends!

    ReplyDelete