Friday, September 8, 2017

July's Wanderings

Iceberg Lake - July 6, 2017



Iceberg Lake is one of my favorite hikes due to the icebergs in the lake. I'm so glad we did this hike early as there were so much ice, it was fun! This hike is 9.7 miles return with an elevation gain of 1275 ft. One travels through fine grizzly bear habitat and bears are frequently seen here, I've been lucky and haven't had to worry about bears!


The bear grass this year was AMAZING! So much of it, so pretty!


I had to get out on that ice! It's July remember, a hot one too!


What am I doing? Taking a picture of course!


This is the picture I was taking!


Marilee came out to play too!


See! It's fun!


What? Another moose? This hikes this year have been great!

Swift Current Pass - July 27, 2017

Now this was a HIKE! We started at Logan's Pass Visitor Centre, went along the Highline trail to Granite Park Chalet (7.6 miles). Granite Park Chalet down to Swift Current Motor Inn (7.4 miles), in Many Glacier. A group of us decided to hike up to the Swift Current Fire Lookout (a short 2.3 side trip). By time we were done hiking this fine day we logged 20 miles (Marilee would correct me and say we logged 19.6 miles) I'm going with the 20 miles!!!


This is the group at the start of the hike! (Standing) Dixie, Joan Quinton, Sharon Walburger, Lorna Uibel, Haroldine Nielson, Sherry Smith, Linda Evans, Paula Marshall, Sue Ellen Nielson, Laura Webster,(sitting) Marilee Cahoon, LaVern Appleton, Doreen Card and of course Locke Marshall front and centre! 


Our trail is up high parallel to the Going to the Sun Road.


The views and the bear grass! Love it!


The wildflowers were spectacular!


I'm guessing this is a Hoary Marmot!


Sherry and Marilee at Granite Park Chalet! Setting of the book Night of the Grizzlies. We have covered about 7 miles to this point. Lunch time! One of my favorite things about hiking!


The trail marker, I see that we have covered 7.6 miles and have another 7 to go to Many Glacier Road. Note the Swiftcurrent L.O. 2.3 miles. Locke and Paula Marshall, Sherry, Linda, Marilee and I decide we want to go to the Lookout, "it's not far", they said!


This is our side trip! Up to that little dot you see at the very top! Thanks to Marilee for this picture! When asked about this little jaunt, I describe it as Bears Hump X 10!!! It felt like a leg day at the gym!


Well I made it! I wondered more than once if I would!


This is looking north to where we want to be! Pretty amazing to be up so high! I love these views!


This is the residence of Mr Lookout man. Sherry decided to rest and wait for us to come down.


Selfie of all of us at the top! This is important to record!


This is where we are going! We started our hike around 9am, Laura Webster organized a ride up to the top, so we could go down to our cars at Swift Current! Laura is a gem! We got down from the Lookout at 4ish pm to where the trail still has 7 miles to go. As it was getting late, Paula decided to step it up and it felt like I ran the last 3 or 4 miles (that's my story!) to keep up! Paula was a tad concerned about walking through bear habitat in the evening! Can't blame her, but she is a fast hiker for sure! Me not so much!


What?? Moose again? I love what we get to see on these hikes. We arrived at our cars right around 8pm, so happy to get my shoes off and put on some sandals and to stop moving!!!! The group that didn't do the Lookout were only about 30 minutes ahead of us! That's pretty good if I do say so myself! (Remember, I'm a slow hiker)!


Finish off this hike with Marilee's photo of Heaven's Peak as seen from the Highline Trail!

Blue Lake Ride - July 31, 2017

 

This time a horse!
My cousins Cheyenne Smith, Neysa Pierson and families said "Let's ride!" I said of course!  Blue Lake or Bovin Lake is near the Shell Plant on the north side of Waterton Lakes National Park. 


It was a hot day, but a short ride (1.5 hrs to the lake).
Left to Right: Mark, Rigin, Montana (leaning) Neysa, Cheyenne (pink) Treena (in black) Nya and Brodie!


Nya! Check out the blue sky!


We made it to the lake! 
Montana, Treena, Nya, Brodie, Cheyenne, Rigin, Neysa, Dixie!


We let the horses cool off in the lake! I should have rode the horses in the lake, but I wasn't quite ready to get that wet or cold! Mountain Lakes are cold even if it's hot out! (Or maybe I'm a wimp1!)


I love it here! I love these people! I love my horse!


Dillon blowing bubbles! Do horses do that? Dillion does!


Brodie and his mount!


Rigin and Black Lady!

These are my horse loving cousins! I'm so glad we get to share such fun times together. I hope we get to ride again! Just need a bit cooler weather and less smoke in the air!

No comments:

Post a Comment