Saturday, August 10, 2013

Crypt Lake Adventure!


Today Tiffany and Cami invited me to hike Crypt Lake with them.
Crypt Lake is 10.7 miles round trip and we took the 9:00am boat shuttle over to the head of the trail. Elevation gain is 2214 ft.
Just so you can compare Bear's Hump is 1.8 miles round trip with an elevation gain of 738 ft.


A beautiful day in Waterton, no wind, and not too much sunshine or heat! Perfect day for a hike in paradise.


Crypt is a fun, difficult hike. Just behind Tiffy and Cami you can see a tunnel that we go through to get up to the lake. The tunnel is the dark spot in the mountain just above the line of people in the distance. Notice how steep it is looking down. If heights are an issue for you, you might not enjoy this hike so much.
Once through the tunnel you scale the side of the mountain, there is a cable to hang on to as you traverse the rocks on a narrow path.


And there you have it, Crypt Lake, tucked in between Vimy Ridge and Mount Bowsell. I loved it! Smooth lakes and mountain air are the greatest!! And I have to say the company was the finest!!


My effort at photography on the way down!


What is this?, you say. Well, it is hail! We got down to the boat dock in time for the 4 pm boat, but we had tickets for the 5:30 pm boat and there wasn't room for us, so we had to wait. In that hour of waiting for the next boat there was thunder, lighting, rain and hail.


This is what it looked like during the "height" of the storm.


This is my view as I waited out the storm under a tree!


The dock as the storm lifts. A hint of sunshine on the lake.


Looking for the boat to show up. I think they waited until the storm blew through before they left their dock! Oh well, we were wet once they left us anyway, what's an extra 15 - 20 minutes?
I've only hiked Crypt Lake twice in my life and both times were and adventure! Love Waterton and where I live!!!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog. We were there too. Nice to see the pictures as our camera had a dead battery. What an adventure for us as this was our first time. I was under the umbrella with a friend. My husband was under a tree but gave his spot to a couple of young women. Exhausted and cold but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. It was a great hike. And the tired girls under your husbands tree were the girls you see in my post. Small world eh?

      Delete
  2. Holy Scamoly! A very pretty lake indeed but I could hardly get past the weather shots! Yikes....wet and wild! I was waiting for a picture of the cable walk along side the mountain but I suppose you were hanging on for dear life and not thinking about taking a picture. ha ha

    PS I think that anonymous comment above is my friend that I told you about! How funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You you are right I should have taken pictures of the cable. Sometimes I am silly!!
      It was an adventure for sure.

      Delete
  3. Clark did this hike yesterday and told me about the cable. He took pictures but none with the cable. Looks like fun and glad you had trees to hide under. Jeepers. What a crazy hail summer it has been.

    ReplyDelete