Sunday, May 15, 2011

Interesting Sights and Signs


Oh "I can't take my weapon in???" I decided to follow the rules and leave it at home, lucky me!!
Just something that one doesn't see everyday. I'm thinking of the song "Signs signs everywhere a sign... do this don't do that can't you read the sign???" ( So lucky for you that you can hear me sing that!!)



This is the "Holyland Model of Jerusalem". It is 1:50 scale of the city of Jerusalem at the time of Jesus. It takes up 21,520 sq ft. The header picture and this one is of Herod's Temple. It's kinda cool. I really wanted to jump in and walk amoung the buildings and play like I was a benevolent Giant and not crush the "little people!!" Too bad they have rules about that!


This is David's City which is south of the Temple Mount. This is where David was able to see Bathsheba. This part of the city is terraced and it helps to understand how easy it would be to see people out on the roofs of their homes. Especially if one is a King and has the highest spot in town! I'll talk more about this later when we get to the real city of David, but this gives perspective.


In the distance at the top of the picture you can see that the Palestinians are building a wall. Palestine is on the other side of the wall and Israel is on this side of the wall. When this wall is done it may or may not include the BYU Jerusalem Center, that detail is in negotiation. Walls for borders, something we are so lucky to not have to deal with here!


Always something for sale!! Be sure to bargin and bargin hard for those items!! That really is the "fun" of shopping for trinkets in Israel and Jordan. This is a narrow street in Jerusalem. So much stone work.


See the man (boy) in the center of the picture with his daily tools. We heard stories that they have used their weapons from time to time. I'm just glad it wasn't when I was in town!!


A teaser for a future post, off to the left of the picture is the Jerusalem Center. Did you know that the Mormons don't do missionary work in Israel? Millions of tourists drive by this building and see this building every year, I'm sure someone has said and will say "Hey what that building up there and what do they do there?" And who knows, they just might google that little detail and who knows what will happen from there?
(Had to repost, as the first one got lost, so if not as witty as before, whoops!! And feel free to recomment!!)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Dixie, I enjoy reading about your adventure.. It is so neat to see your picture I just love them.
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have checked your gopher shooting gun at the front desk since you couldn't take it into the museum with you. That is quite the model of the city. Wow! It would be weird to see guards all around with machine guns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha, I am the first kinda of to comment!! I love this post Dixie thanks for effort I love the pictures and the running commentary! This looks so foreign to me, I love to look at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, did you find this post or re post? Looks good and the header picture of the model is pretty cool. I think the markets look fun......if I ever get back to Nicaragua guess what I want to do? Go back to the markets!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All this work you are doing on these posts are going to make great book of memories. It's good that you going into lots of details with lots of pictures.
    I like what the umbrella says, Drink Different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You think you are witty to begin with?! HA!

    ReplyDelete